to the website of the County Louth Archaeological and Historical Society
Founded in 1903, the Society celebrated its centenary in 2003. It has a
membership of 688 (end December 2014), drawn from many diverse walks of life and locations.
The object of the Society is to protect and foster knowledge of the
archaeological and historical heritage of County Louth.
Why not browse our
site to see what we do and, if you want to learn and experience more,
why not apply for membership and enjoy the benefits - it is open to
1. Spring Lecture Programme - Details of the Society's Spring Lecture Programme can now be viewed on the Events page. IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Drogheda lecture will be held on Thursday, 19th March and not 26th March as previously advertised.
2. Launch of 'The Field Names of County Louth' - In conjunction with County Louth IFA and County Louth Library Service, the Society launched 'The Field Names of County Louth' on 13 November, 2014. For more details on the project and how to buy your copy, go to www.louthfieldnames.wordpress.com.
3. Election of Officers and Council for 2015 - The Officers and Council Members elected for 2015 are listed on the Contact Us page.
4. Annual Report 2014 - The Honorary Secretary's Report for 2014 can be viewed by clicking here.
5. Pay membership fees by Paypal - We are pleased to announce that we have introduced a facility for members and prospective members to pay annual membership fees through Paypal. For more details, go to the Membership page.
6. The Returned Army - As a complement to his book 'The Unreturned Army', Donal Hall has now published a listing of some 1400 names of persons from Co. Louth who served in the First World War and apparently survived. This listing can be viewed at www.jbhall.freeservers.com.
7. Francis Place's Drawing of Drogheda - The Society has recently reproduced a drawing by Francis Place entitled ĎA View of Drogheda from St Johnís Hill 1698í, by kind permission of The Fitzwilliam Museum, Cambridge.
For details of this and our other publications, please go to our Publications page.
7. View photographs from Society outings and activities on the Gallery page.